Pages

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Book Review: Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte


Book: Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
Genre: Classic Literature
Published: 1847
How I Got the Book: Bought, for a class

Synopsis (from goodreads.com): "Wuthering Heights", Emily Bronte's only novel, is one of the pinnacles of 19th-century English literature. It's the story of Heathcliff, an orphan who falls in love with a girl above his class, loses her, and devotes the rest of his life to wreaking revenge on her family.

My Thoughts: I am a convert. I am a believer of the books awesome power of this book. The characterization of every character is beyond imagination. The writing is thick and dramatic and the atmosphere and tone come alive. I couldn;t believe how truly dark this story was. It is so against the drain of almost everything I else I read from the time period. Roaming around the English countryside at night? Selfish unforgiving soul sucking romance? Oh yeah. It is so NOT romantic, that there's a level of comedy to anyone who described it as such. And the book knows it. It's narrated by someone who think Cathy and Heathcliff are completely insane. And they are! It is so full of violence and complex emotions, it took two readings back to back for me to absorb the full scope of the novel. The only thing I did not care for is the 'newer' generation/offspring...I feel it dampens Heathcliff and Cathy's story too much. But no matter, this book is revolting and such a train wreck...I couldn't look away. I'm not swooning over them but I am in awe of the level of story telling Bronte conjured up. Loved it in all its madness.

Characters: Unlikeable, unrelatable, unpleasent, psychotic, yet oh so familiar and expertly written.

Cover Art: I really like it. The colors are great, it's a nice scene of the moors which is basically a main character.

Overall: ★★★★★


0 comments:

Post a Comment