Pages

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Book Review: Beautiful Creatures by Garcia and Stohl



Book: Beautiful Creatures by Garcia and Stohl
Genre: Young Adult
Published: December 2009
How I Got the Book: Library

Synopsis (from goodreads.com):
Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she’s struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haun ...more Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she’s struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps, and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.
Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town’s oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.

My Thoughts: Snoozefest. Boring. Way way way too long and drawn out. This book took me literally two months to read. About half-way through the book I just gave up on caring about any character or anything going on plot wise. It honestly could have been 250 pages less and still achieved the same effect. I picked up the book because of the great reviews and I thought a southern Gothic novel would be very compelling. Ugh. I was wrong. The synonpsis makes it sound decent, but it really isn't. The 'exciting' parts at the end of the book are thrown together and so predictable I was rolling my eyes. Pretty much everything that one can guess or assume would happen in this book...did. Very noob. I will not be picking up the sequel or the rest of the series because I negatively care about what happens. Skip it.

Characters: Uncompelling. Lackluster. Cliche. I struggle to remember anything worthwhile about any of them. Oh wait, I remember the cousin of Lena was one of more cartoon-ish and stereotypical charcters I had read in a long time.

Cover Art: Awesome!!! Great font and pretty purple, the whole thing is very eye cathcing and great

Overall: ★★ (one extra star for the cover)




0 comments:

Post a Comment